Sunday, July 14, 2019

July 13 Liguerre de Cinca to Tierratona

Yesterday's walk was long and it was hot.  Today's was longer but less hot.  We are comparing 97 degrees to 90...towards the end, not the whole thing!!  A major section near the beginning this morning was utterly spectacular.  Fortunately there were metal cords to hold onto where the ledge was narrow and metal steps with metal handles fitted into the rocks where there was no ledge.




Do you think that tree is in the way:




Yes, one really does have to go through that tunnel.  The flashlight app on the phone worked perfectly:



When I got to the end point, Tierratona, the panaderia was closed.  So much for that.  But I have discovered that at any bar you can ask for a bocadillo with cheese to go, and there you are with bread and cheese in a sandwich the size of a subway.  It can be part of your dinner, breakfast, or mid, morning pick me up on the road the next day.  At the bar in Tierratona, I was cursing myself for having been so stupid as to make a reservation at a place another half hour walk up a hill rather than staying in a room over the bar.  But when I got to Mur de Alujan, I was not sorry any longer.  The house is a castle or at the very least in the style of a castle, built in the 15th century by the family Perez, and has been inhabited by a member of that family ever since.  The stairs could scare you to death.  They are those little windy type that castles have, and I am on the third floor.  The owners have added to the original structure:  electricity, toilets, etc., but have preserved most of the original wood and stonework and such. Anyway, staying here is one of those once in a life time experiences.

I asked Rafael, the guy, if I could buy some fruit from him.  He said, "Sí."  Then he came back and asked if I would like a salad and a beef steak!  (They do not serve food here.)  I declined the steak but accepted the salad and asked for two eggs in lieu of the steak.  So there I was, on this little terrace, the eaves of which were lined with birds nests, overlooking a courtyard, eating a lovely little lunch.


It was hot. Even the dogs needed a rest from barking:






Very old wine casks, maybe even dating to the original Perez:



A window:



Walk up 45 of these steps to get to my room:


No comments:

Post a Comment