Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Julu 01 Olite to Ujue

Today, another taxi to meet, in Ujue, at 10:30 to be taken back to Olite.  If you are wondering why so many taxis, most often it is because there is no place to stay at the end of the stage.    

It was quite an easy (10.6 miles) and pleasant walk, and I do love those 5:30-5:45 start times an hourish before sunrise, allowing you that first light, which is beautiful,, and you get to see the one or two little towns off in the hills still lit up.  Of course, this start-out technique requires knowing FOR SURE the day previous how to get to the start of the walk.  There are no waymarks.

Still in farm country:
 


A red door:



The area around Olite is the Napa of Navarra:



Hard at work:



Approaching Ujue, a sweet spot for a little sit down:



Ujue is a medieval town, narrow streets—yes, your arms outstretched can touch the houses on both sides of a street—set on a steep hill, dominated by a big church.  Unlike Olite, it does not have shoppees (at least, none that I saw), but it does have bars and restaurants, none of which were open when I arrived.  

Pedro showed up at 10:30 as promised, and since he cannot take me where I have to go at the walk's end tomorrow, he arranged for Ricardo up in Sanguesa to come and get me at the Ermita de San Zoilo and I hope he does!!  I am a bit on edge about this arrangement!

Anyway, back in Olite, I grabbed a double chocolate Magnum and went "sightseeing."  I did not, I must admit,  give the Palacio Real my all despite its being impresionante de verdad, because despite the wow factor of these phenomenal structures, every large space seems, after a bit, to look like every other large space.  Oh, the best, was this guy who was sashaying around looking for the best spots to take selfies!  

A one or a two bell tower?



In the above photo, you can see a bit of one of these gargoyles screeching its little stone heart out:




A closeup of a section of last night's view from my window:


The big excitement of the day was finding big, soft dáteles (dates) in one of the grocery shops.  








No comments:

Post a Comment