Thursday, June 13, 2024

Llanes, June 12

 I was excited about today´s walk because it promised to be pretty and it would shave a few miles off tomorrow´s walk, which is 30 K and I am over 2 K away from the start.  AND tomorrow´s walk begins by the way of the road, not by way of the sea.  My expectations were met!  To start, a gorgeous cliff top meander with the usual cliff top topography:  narrow paths, stony ups and downs, just all kinds of little surprises, for example, a bunny ran through that little space in the wall, which you can hardly see that was not the surprise:


Is that for people, too?   Yes, it was!  So to push through, the back pack had to come off.  It was that narrow. (That was the surprise.)

There was a section with tall, wet grass.  After becoming soaked, I decided to put on my rain pants, shortly after which the tall grass gave way to short grass.

View in one direction:


View in the other direction:


While you are wishing this would go on forever, you come to a place that is a definite No-Can-Go


It looks like this on the app:


Which, as you can tell, is not helpful.  Somehow I made it down to that inner body of water, an estuary, I believe, and was it gorgeous!  But getting across it was the thing.  I wanted to avoid the road, so I started crossing, hugging the shore, surmounting obstacles such as outcroppings of rock, and making my way through a stream that, fortunately, was only a few inches high.  (I had to navigate this estuary again on the way back, no, I did not HAVE to, but I did not want to spoil today´s loveliness by taking the road back.)  I made it a point in Celerio where there is a large rotunda overlooking a beach, and where there is a bar and lots of parking, so that I can tell the taxi driver tomorrow exactly where I want to go. (Took a photo of the bar and sent the driving route via Google Maps to my phone. That ought to do it!)

I cobbled together a route back to Llanes that was not as dramatic as the outbound, but still very pleasant.

The tinkle of bells caught my ear and, behold! A flock of goats eating away while growing their long coats of hair no doubt to be made into yarn for someone´s knitting project:


Just one more shot of the rocks and water:



Back in Llanes where Señorita Meñina guards the port:


The guide book describes Llanes as a happening sort of place.  I don´t know what is happening here, it strikes me as somewhat shabby, at least the area around the main square.  I bought a bread at a panaderia, made my way to an ice cream vendor, bought a cone and sat on a bench to work on the Spelling Bee. (No 👑 today.). Then I searched out the river walk back to the hotel.  Mileage today about 14 1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment