Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Gijon, June 17

 I am so glad that yesterday I bit off a chunk of today´s walk!  I will tell you why.  Taxi drop off at the start point was  6:30 where began a serious climb of 1500 feet.  That was only the first climb of the day but it was the steepest and longest. There is really not a lot to say about today´s stage that is new:  scenery was pleasant, 


Hey, little fellow!  

One day you will grow up to be like....

I am going to guess that these barrels are used for aging cider, a popular beverage in these parts.

As usual, the surfaces for the most part were not so pleasant.  At least I did not have to contend with this:

In other words, it was rather boring.  But I was prepared!  I spent a couple of hours listening to Jessica Fein´s book, Breath Taking. I  cried only a few times.  It is very moving.

When I reached the hotel in Gijon it was only noonish so I did not think I would be admitted, but not only was my room ready, the suitcase had been delivered.  The hotel is a parador, which is to say it is REALLY NICE!  And there is a good supermarket across the street.  Sometimes you get lucky!  It was so nice to take a shower, wash my hair and do the laundry.


Speaking of the suitcase, I checked with the tour company, and indeed I am allowed 20 kilos, as if I know exactly how much it weighs, but for sure it does not weigh more that 44.09lbs!  Even though I had been instructed by the driver yesterday to put some of my goods in a backpack, the tour company also told me they would not charge me for two pieces today!  Wow!  Did I get a break!

Anyway, I had a great lunch of high grade lox with cream cheese, tomato and onion on black bread and a soda, which meal gave me the energy to check out the environs.

First, the beech, 

where I will spend more time tomorrow.

Checked out a few side streets where I found a gorilla brandishing a machine gun:


Ambling through the lovely park right near the hotel, I came upon a large collection of fowl:


This is the tuchas of a chicken:


And here is a peacock being modest:


A bench styled so that people can sit on either side:


Then back to my luxe (relatively speaking) surroundings, which I do enjoy very much!















1 comment:

  1. I believe your gorilla is actually a wookiee! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca

    ReplyDelete