Monday, August 14, 2017

pembroke to Angle to Bosherston

Pembroke Castle.


Volunteers conduct tours of the castle, and the last time I was here, when Jerry Anne and I walked the Pembrokeshire Coast (south to north), we had a guide all to ourselves; it was super interesting. That was when I found out that if the enemy burned or hacked their way in, they were caught between the portcullis and some other barrier giving opportunity to the castle people to rain down on their heads hot urine, stones and who knows what else.  Wouldn't it be great, I thought, to add to my knowledge base and go on another tour.  Alas, the tour was geared to children so I slunk away.  Guides tend to want to tell you what happened at the castle.  That you can read about.  Why don't they tell you how the castle was built?  How the stones were brought and shaped and hoisted, and where they got, fed, and housed the workers and all that sort of stuff?  But they tend not to.  That is my plaint.

Somehow, in its modern context, the castle loses some of its commanding presence:



There are many kinds of giants:



The walk today (which is now yesterday) went through an industrial area around Milford Haven. I found it rather interesting. It would be wonderful to have a guided tour of a ship like this one:



Little creatures are busy, well, as bees, too:



I'm thinking mini Alcatraz:



Sunrise looking out from my window at Angle, at low tide:


Angle, where I stayed last night, has, in the entire village, three let-able rooms.  I was lucky to get one (booking way in advance is key), and at a such a nice little place where I enjoyed tremendously the baked products that Madeline, the owner, provided:  a scone and her own bread.   I needed that nourishment because today's walk was 19 miles, some of it, especially to and through a large firing range, a real slog; some gorgeous, but sore toe due to too thick sock or something, made it hard.  It did not rain, though, and, especially through some steep sections at the beginning, I was grateful every second.

No shop in Angle. No shop in Bosherston, where I am tonight, and not certain of a shop in Manorbier, tomorrow's destination. Supplies running low!

No comments:

Post a Comment