Friday, August 18, 2017

Bosherston to Manorbier to Amroth, Aug. 14+15

It is a good thing I worked out that Talmudic argument about whether to put on the rain gear before it rains or wait until it actually does rain, because I was faced with that very situation this morning.  One extra bit of knowledge I had, other than the clouds, darkness, and wind, was that it had not rained the two days previous. A three day string of dry days, too much to expect.  So suited up, I set off, and in no time the deluge began.  For what are you grateful?  For having decided to put on your rain jacket under the poncho to stave off freezing.  It really did come down and blow forcefully, and there were some steep ups and downs to deal with while the poncho was billowing about obscuring the ability to determine where to place your clunky boot.  Pushed on.  Arrived in Manorbier too early to check in to B&B, then, glancing at GyPSy, I noticed that I could go further, circle back, and cut off a good 15 minutes from tomorrow's walk, which promises some attractions, such as a reptile museum, I hope to take advantage of.  Only a certified nut case would do this.  One risk in this plan is that although a path to cut back showed on the map, there was no guarantee that one would not be stopped by an impassable gate, barbed wire, or an electric fence.  Luck was with me.  This new route meant that I passed the mini mini mini mart on the way to the B and B. They had not one head of lettuce, but at least they had those little sweet, hot peppers stuffed with cream cheese, big bars of Cadbury's chocolate, and a couple of rolls.
 
 Man at B and B did not want any eating going on in the room.  Why then does he nicely supply little frig for guest use?  Did not ask.  Did not tell, either, that eating was definitely going to go on in the room because I was not about to venture out in the deluge to the one little tea shoppe in town to see if I could find a little table. Man at B and B did not want me leaving before 7:00 a.m. on the morrow lest I make a noise and wake other guests.  "Can you stop me," I pondered?  Anyway, I did assure said man that I am quiet like a bunny and would not slam or even close noisily the door to my bedroom.

Oh, by the way,  I wondered the other day when a way-that-was-supposed-to-be was not whether that skinny little line strung around a field was simply meant to keep the cows in or was charged.  I checked, something you don't do twice.  And this morning I thought about it a plenty when, trying to stand against the wind, the sea was on one side of the path, and one of those electric fences was on the other, running for quite some distance.

Anyway, despite all, the B and B is lovely, view of gorgeous garden out the window, and the heat is on.  Not only does that feel cozy and warm, it allows all garments to dry before they get soaked again.

Gorgeous day for final stretch of Pembrokeshire section of the walk.  The first section was on road since, as noted yesterday, I had done an extra section of the coastal part already, AND I realized that I shaved off about an hour, not 15 minutes of today's walk but the longer walk would have been much more gorgeous today.  Anyhow, down on the ground life goes on, slowly perhaps:



Don't you just hate it when you forget to take your house along?



Did not check to see whether decapitated or just funny about the head:


Selfie taking photo:



This is what a gorgeous day looks like:



Plans to sightsee on the way came to naught for in Tenby, the Merchant's House, which I did want to see, was not open, and at 9:30 when I reached Tenby the hordes were converging on town and beach making wandering about kind of unpleasant.  Did manage an ice cream, though.  It could have been bigger, pero bueno.

Then, in Sandersfoot, I was shooed out of the Reptile Museum, which was open only for private sessions.  Who knew?  I did manage to see a few of the residents, though.  I thought this creature was made of plastic, but no:


Life is good, even in a tank.  Love those hind polkes:


What should I do today after my nap, that is?



Got to B&B—hydrangeas below line the entry to it—and the owner told me that some guests who stayed yesterday could not walk all the way because of the horrible weather, so they stopped in Tenby, seven miles away, and took a cab.  May I reveal that I have heard several similar reports of people who could not push through the weather, or simply don't walk on really bad days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment