Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Mumbles to Port Talbot, Aug. 27, 2017

The itinerary is from Mumbles to Port Talbot, but I did the walk in reverse as it was easier to get to Port Talbot early in the morning than it would have been to get back to Mumbles in the afternoon because the bus that links these to towns does not run on Sunday, which day I happened to be walking.  Isn't that just the way things are!  

There were some climbs, some rural parts, and the long Swansea beach front, but for the most part, this was a ex-sub-urban-quasi-industrial route.  The worst feature of this geography is the roundabout.  Now, roundabouts are hellish anywhere, but some of the ones here are the BIGGEST I have ever seen, so when I had to navigate this particular one, I was so happy to see an overpass:


Only guess what?  It had as many exits as the road had directions.

Lots of the scenery was like this, only with more cars:



But there is a place for everybody:



And sometimes signs help you cross big roads:



Ads, just like on I 95 or the Post Road:



There was a not very pretty canal, along which the blackberries did not taste very good.  Thinking maybe a little pollution:



Swing bridge leading to Swansea:



There was a water park:


Approaching Mumbles, whom should I bump into but the one person I know in the entire town:  David, one of the owners of Langland Road B and B where I was staying.  He was on his way to the gym.  It was such fun to stop and chat for a couple of minutes.  Then, arrived in Mumbles, I washed my hair, which actually looked OK for about 20 minutes, changed into my "going out clothes," and headed straight for Joe's, the famed ice cream shop, where I had the best ice cream I ever tasted en ¡toda mi vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment