Saturday, August 5, 2017

Newport to Goodwick to Trefin Aug 2+3 2017

Need I mention the weather conditions this morning?  But while it was raining and blowing, another rainbow appeared.  This had to be an omen!  It was huge!  It lingered.  I felt as if I was going to walk through its arch.  Then, as the path bent, it seemed to move to the side only to appear in front, beckoning again!  Not that it stopped raining or anything!  It was a truly amazing phenomenon.



One end dipped right into the sea!


The weather only worsened, so, so much for omens!  At the approach to Dinas Head, there is a trig. point (cement marker), from which spot one of the best views on the path is to be experienced.  This morning, you could not discern sea from sky in the mist.  On you trudge on a now very muddy path. BUT it is a real path, easy to follow, lots of ups, fewer downs (I don't get that), but you do need to think about every step.  

By the way, you know the whole mindfulness thing that is invading every task one does?  Well, just do a walk like this and you will know exactly what mindfulness is all about, without all the silliness.

A sweet little bridge:


Holiday huts for sale:


Wonder how many that little bungalow sleeps!

Goodwick to Trefin, 20 miles, 2 hours of rain, wind the whole time gusting to 40 mph.  Don't ask how I held my ground.  Without poles, I could not have.  I could not even take my hand off the pole to get GyPSy out of her pocket.  There were a couple of scary moments, have to say, when markers showing you how to navigate through the rocks would have been very helpful, and then there was the stress of worrying about being pushed into a cliff by the wind, and thinking, "My dental work!"  I did not even eat the whole day.  This was not a walk; it was a mission.  I arrived, so relieved, in Trefin at 3:15.  The scenery is utterly splendid and tomorrow, sun is predicted, so I intend to enjoy every step.

For those who find 20 miles of pushing through punishing wind inadequate exercise, this B and B's toilet paper holder stands ready to offer a little supplemental enjoyment:



No comments:

Post a Comment