Thursday, July 28, 2016

Yet another rest day

Forgotten from yesterday, but not completely forgotten, this may or may not be the stone formation called the Dancing Maidens. Let's say it is. Apparently, there were these maidens who danced instead of going to vespers for which transgression they were turned to stone:



The legendary giant blue adder?



Remember! Always make an appointment with the dog



St. Michael's Mount through the mist:



Since it was high tide, I took a little boat to St. Michael's Mount. Sweet. The setting and walking up the steps to the castle are wonderful, but the castle was no match for Dunster (near Minehead) AND the gardens, which I had wanted to see as much as the castle are open only two days a week, and today was not one of those days. Disappointing! But one could get an aerial view of at least some of them:




The most beautiful feature was the windows:



Here is another. The latches are gorgeous, too:



Horse head (not real) with stone reflection:



What is a castle without armor?



Many rooms and areas were roped off, so the whole visit took maybe an hour. So I decided to return to Penzance since Marazion is very small. I took a bus! I never take buses, but I took a bus and even waited on the correct side of the street for it.

It was fun to walk around without concern for getting lost....all you have to do to get back is head for the sea and look for St. Michael's Mount and there you are! So I did some grocery shopping and gallery viewing.

I thought that these crumpled, black pieces of paper....15,000 pieces, or more, represented rocks on the coast, but, no, this was an exhibit about a suicide bombing. It was actually quite powerful. Aside from this display, which ran around half the room, there were a couple of huge abstract paintings:




Walked back to Marazion, again on the beach, but easier without heavy backpack, boots, and many miles already trudged. Saw this smart contraption on the beach. It is a wheelchair designed to go on sand:



In Penzance, I was on the hunt for tape with which to seal my boots. Desafortunadamente, it only came in orange. But the good thing is, I now have a huge roll of it!




Concluded the rest day with visits to several art galleries in Marazion, and all I can say is that it is a good thing I am traveling, because there were temptations!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Marazion

No comments:

Post a Comment