Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Final Rest Day

The other property to see—in addition to Coleton Fishacre—is Greenway, Agatha Christie's country House and gardens. To get there, you take a different ferry and for a pleasant half hour, cruise up the busy River Dart, and voila, there you are! This house has a lot of STUFF, and depending on your interests, you will be fascinated or mildly ho-hummed after a while.

This bouquet is made of shells



A collection of boxes:




My favorite was a whole bunch of miniature woven strips that were designed as name tapes. The detail is so fine:



Couldn't take a lot of pictures because you aren't suppose to use a flash, and the flash on my camera goes off all the time, and there were lots of people in the rooms, so I had to shoot where I could, like here:



What is striking about that toilet is that it seems rather quaint for the 1950's.

The gardens were large and beautiful, but did not have the exuberance of those at Coleton Fishacre.

Mother and child:




Tree branch:



Dancing flowers:



To return, my plan had been to walk 30 minutes to the steam train, take that to Kinsgwear and the ferry back to Dartmouth. But not surprisingly, it did not work out that way. I started on the steep route to the train (a moderate route was also possible) and in about ten minutes, the signs for the train were gone and in their place was "Kingswear three miles." Nice day, so why not walk back. Keep going for a while and a sign emerges "Kingswear three and a half miles." Confused, I shrug and follow this brand new set of signs. Walk and walk and walk, and the signs STOP at an intersection with a major road. Follow major road down, meet a man and his wife, chit chat, and they tell me I can get to Kingswear by going up some steps and so on. So I do until those signs stop and paths are going all over the place. The half hour walk turned into a two+ hour meander, but back I got, and went immediately to the Dartmouth Museum, where I saw a thirty minute film, all authentic footage, about preparations for D-Day. Most of the movie was about the Americans who were sent here to train. It was quite emotional, and I was sorry that there was not more time to spend in the museum, but it was closing time.

View of the Dart on the way back from Greenway:



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Dartmouth

1 comment: