Sunday, September 14, 2014

Catching up.

There may be some redundancy here what with the whole photo issue and all, which is still not completely resolved, but improving.

Doesn't anyone want to identify this? (And tell me how to get rid of the i-phone data?) Actually, Tanya, uno de los tres amigos del año pasado, already did but she had an unfair advantage, so second place is still up for grabs:




Garden at the hotel in Getaria: It was really pleasant to sit there for a while:




because at the same time, you got to see this:



At night, the streets take on a whole other look:




Right outside my window:



At this charming little hotel, they do not serve breakfast until 8:30, which is much to late when one is on The Way. It is not that you have to arrive particularly early at the next stop, it is that you want to catch those cool morning hours. La señora del hotel me dijo told me that around the corner there was a cafeteria that opened at 7:00 a.m. I was there on the dot and had my first real cafe con leche of this trip. In fact I had two!

At 7:45 a.m., the sky looked like this:



and the path for a stretch like this:



Do you see that little yellow arrow on the tree? Yes! The route today was very well marked. It makes all the difference.




Joanne said I should take a selfie so that you would all know that it was really yo here. This one reveals the proportion of legs to brain required to walk the walk.





Huh? Martin, is this a topic in your course?




It is so nice to be served water without having to ask:




The photo below wasn't meant to be artistic, it is just not a great photo. The dude pointing out something with the stick, a local fellow out for a walk, was nice enough to let me, and later some others (the other dude,a guy from Denmark, e.g, and then two chicos from France), join him on the "scenic" route for a supposed 6K segment to Deba (destination for the day). It was scenic, to be sure, but, oy, was it hard and it had to be more than 6K. If what has come before has been a 4 or a 5, this was an 8, and it was hot, and the steep verticals kept coming, one after another, and did I say it was hot? And there was no shade. But we made it, 22 K in about 4 1/2 hours and my swollen ankle is none the worse for the challenge.




One of the views:



Tonight I took a walk on the beach. Here is what I have learned: Some women go topless, not many, which makes it seem odd that any do. One was about eight months pregnant. Little boys are sometimes naked on the beach but not little girls, although they almost never wear tops.

While on the beach, the two guys from France, one Francois and one Fabian, told me that they had found the scenic spectacular a challenge. Phew, it was not just me!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment