Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Trying to Get Ready!

Still struggling with mechanics but let's go on to FAQ's OK so these are not REAL FAQ's, they are fictive, but aren't most of them? The difference is that the point of REAL FAQ's is to say to the reader, "Go away and don't bother us. You can find out what you want to know from reading this information."

I am not trying to do that. I am trying to be clever, but, c'mon, it is not that clever. I would be much more impressed with myself if I could use all the formatting niceties.

1) How Do you prepare for such a walk? (That was supposed to be in blue, but I think I did not accomplish that.)

I walked with weights around my wrists and ankles (about 9 pounds) for two plus hours or jogged for an hour and a bit every day and also tried to do the Nordic Track in the evening, which is not all that difficult if you are compulsive and you lead a life that has few social demands!

But any mishegas will suffice so long as you know you can do the mileage each day. (Whoops, if I did get the blue for the question, then the whole answer will be blue and that was not supposed to happen!)

2) How Far in Advance Did you Make Your Reservations?

In November, would you believe? That is because it is difficult for a single person to get a room. It is as simple as that--especially on weekends and more especially on weekends in the Lake District.

It can work both ways, though. Sometimes you are put in a closet; sometimes, if the B and B is not busy, you will be upgraded to a palatial room.

3) Why Are You Doing This?

I love walking and being outside, no matter the weather, and I am a little bit crazy.

3b) Couldn't You Go With a Group?

Yes. But that is a whole other story.

4) Do You Have To Carry Everything With You? (I have given up on trying to put the questions in blue.)

I am not THAT crazy! It is enough to carry a pack with rain jacket, rain pants, a fleece and wind shirt, two liters of water, food and other sundry items--like let us not forget the GPS.

5) Who Takes the Rest of Your Stuff?

A shlepping service! They charge per bag per day.

6) What Are The Most Important Items To Take?

So glad you asked! Boots and socks and your pack.




Oh, look! I finally imported a picture! See the pretty leather boots, all shiny with Snow-Seal (no time for link)? Switched from gortex to leather a couple of years ago because it is easier to waterproof leather.

Now let me say this about socks: Expect to pay for good ones and if you do not, you will pay in blisters. OK?

Which pack?











Look at that! Two pictures! Wow!

BIG DECISION. The green, lightweight, women's XS, Gregory Arreba, a real find four years ago, or the Osprey Youth with the external frame, but seven ounces heavier?

Serious consultation arranged with friend, Jerry Anne. All pros and cons considered carefully. Osprey won.

Why? Its back length can be adjusted, thus taking weight off shoulders and relieving pain in shoulder and arm--one hopes!

Almost time to leave for airport! Sandwiches packed, passport, tickets and other essentials in their proper places. Anxiety level appropriately high!
Oh, and most important, shingles induced exhaustion definitely on the wane!










































- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:New Haven CT

No comments:

Post a Comment