Thursday, July 14, 2011

St. Bees and First Day

It turns out that the lost post was not lost at all, but was in draft mode, but now it is not necessary.  Finding it, though, was a good boost for my still primitive IT skills.

Anyway, had a gorgeous day yesterday.  Perfect weather, walked along beach at low tide, and started to get sorted, a process still in process.  Abbey Farm House (too lazy to do links) is a super nice B and B. When I can add photos, you'll be able to see the bathroom, for example.  Apparently, computer too slow for picture adding, said Steve, the owner.  Oh, and can't get wi fi on on my iPad--at least not here.

Today, perfect weather again and the official start to the walk.  I got "off trail" once or twice, but quickly realized my errors and got righted again.  "If  it doesn't make sense, it is probably wrong!"  For those who care, and that means only one person--maybe-- that is Ben Foster's view of translation. The things we remember! 

This is such a gorgeous walk.  I had forgotten just how beautiful it is.  Of course, having basic competence with the GPS helps. I hiked ten miles today with a less than full pack and then, after returning to St Bees, walked another four or so.  Now at about 90% recovery from shingles.

No memorable meals to report --had a way to rich "mushroom wellington" last night--that is a concoction of lots of  onions sauteed in lots of oil, and a hidden mushroom in a pie crust. It was garnisihed with a sprig of letuce. You would not believe how many dishes here are "pies." They are a national staple.  I did discover a new Cadbury candy bar with peanuts, caramel and raisons.  Yum!  But I am still sulking that Kraft bought out Cadbury.

I thought I would dine on the beach tonight, so bought a chicken sandwich at the post office--the post office doubles as the general store in many towns, but one bite and I thought, uuhhh, no, so off to local bistro, which is at the train station (honest) where I hope the fare will be superior to last night's.

By the way, at 10:30 p.m. it is still light out!  Makes it kind of hard to go to bed!

Tomorrow, the second part of the first leg and arrival at Ennerdale.  Probably no more posts for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Ok so I am WAY OFF!!!! I was going to call you today and ask if you were ready to go and how you were feeling. I thought you left this Saturday. Imagine my surprise when I looked up your blog , just so I could find it and be ready when you left, and I found out you were there!! I actually spent about 5 minutes checking the dates to see if it was from last year! HAHA Oh and I love the name you have to Google, GRANDMA GOES COASTAL, too funny!!! Well, this blog looks amazing, yay for posting pictures, I agree with the pack choice and the boots look like they weigh more than you. But I know they must be comfy and the best or you wouldn't be wearing them. Enjoy and I look forward to reading this daily!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete