Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The best B and B yet

Not that it is a big deal, but this post belongs before the next one. There was no wi-fi easily available for a couple of days, so I saved up the posts.


This morning's breakfast in Reeth was elegantly served. One large table set with blue and white linens, English china dishes with classic, floral patterns, all very pretty and inviting. The cereals were in huge ceramic bowls on a tiered stand; there was a crystal bowl filled with pineapple and grapes, and of course, the usual yogurts, juices and milk. These were the h'ors d'oeuvres for those who eat a "cooked breakfast." The coffee was for real and there was lots of it.

That was not the best B and B, though. Today's, in Richmond is, and well it should be, as it is also the most expensive. But hey, tomorrow is a rest day, so I really get to enjoy it.

It turns out that Tanya and Ian are staying here for two nights, also. Happy coincidence! They are out for dinner right now. I "ate in." (Sandwiches, chips and fruit from the grocery store.) Since this place is so comfortable, I decided to take advantage of the room and lounge to get sorted and to do some crossword puzzles. The one flaw: no wi-fi available, even though it is advertised.

The house that houses this B and B dates from the 17th century. If you can read this plaque, then you will know something of the history of it.

No, I guess you won't because I don't see the photo! Here is the story:

Mayor Willance was riding his horse in the fog, the horse went over a cliff, the mayor broke his leg and almost froze to death. He survived by sticking his leg into the carcass of his dead horse. The leg, which had to be amputated, was buried with him when, at a later date, he died. People around here are proud of that story, and here I am in his very house!

So what makes this B and B so special? It isn't fussy or fancy, but the room is spacious, as is the bathroom, which has a REAL shower that--excuse me--I have to reach over to the jar of cookies to get one--ummm, shortbread, very good. There is also a jar of candy, a bottle of water, and, of course, tea and coffee making facilities. The lighting is decent; that is a rarity. Big, comfortable, four-poster bed, an extra quilt in the wardrobe, pine desk with easy chair. There is a window seat with a red, velvet cushion. Ceiling is beamed. Overall, a quiet, warm, open feel to the room. No wonder I didn't want to go out!

Since I have been to Richmond before, I have a pretty good idea of how I want to spend the free day. No doubt, it will include walking, but without pack and boots. In fact, I intend to wear the yellow T shirt I snuck into the bag for just such an occasion. The weather should be fine.

Today's walk from Reeth was like from heaven! About twelve miles of gorgeousness in perfect weather. See the calf? She was very sweet!



See the bull? He was ferocious-looking!




I love this sign! It is posted inside every phone booth. I hope it is legible.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:W End,,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment