Saturday, July 29, 2023

July 28, Marlow to Windsor

 I did not particularly like the Marlow Air B&B, and I am glad it is the last one until London, but it had the virtue of being close to the Thames, so off I went, and wouldn't you know I started walking the wrong way.  There is nothing quite like hearing that sneery, snarky voice's rebuke, "You are heading in the wrong direction."  But, had it not been for her, I would have been like Schlemiel who never made it to Warsaw

There is some pretty impressive real estate along the river.  I wonder who decides what land can and cannot be given over for private use.


The parking lot is full:


But not here:


I name this boat, "Beyond Repair."



Walking under a highway is way preferable to walking across:

In which case you might really need someone to pray for you:


Redwoods?  Not redwoods (Alex Allain)!


Approaching Windsor:


I, however, am staying in Eton, just on the other side of the bridge.  Windsor is big and noisy and has a huge mall and lots going on. Oh, and of course, The Castle is there!   Eton is small, there is less going on, and does not have The Castle

Peeking into a residential court in Eton:


When I was being checked in to my digs here at Gilby's Bar and Grill, the receptionist gave me thorough instructions about the keys to the exterior door.  There are two locks.  The upper lock you turn; for the lower lock you need the long key.  (The other key is for your room.)  It made me think about Clovis and Darling.  And I discovered that not only does the lower lock require a key, the lock is covered by a rotating cap.  For a country that is so fire conscious and safety conscious—windows in many hotels only open a few inches so that God forbid you cannot jump out. An act of defenestration would tarnish the reputation of the hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment