Monday, July 24, 2023

July 23, Pangbourne

 Yesterday, when I got to the Air B&B, I had a list of codes to deal with.  One for this gate, one for the other gate, one for the lockbox to get the key to the unit.  It was a bit befuddling. (This is one major downside of Air B&Bs.) I see a large gate for cars and beside it a people-sized gate.  I tap in the code at the people gate, hear a click, but nothing happens.  Try again.  Code, click, nothing.   I try to tap the code for the big gate but the surface is so worn, I cannot distinguish all the digits. I am standing there like a complete ninny, not knowing what to do. By and by, a woman drives up to the big gate from within the complex, the gate swings open, she drives out.  Taking advantage of that opening (ha), I dash in and head for "The Studio, immediately to the right." Figure out the lock box—they are not all the same—get inside, see the key fob with the remote for the big gate and decide to keep it on my person at all times.  But the fact that the pedestrian gate did not "open on command" really bothered me. 

 This morning, after I left to start my walk in the hills, I had to return because I had forgotten my waist pack within which was a nectarine that had been incubating in my suitcase for about a week; I was all excited to see if it had developed some flavour.  You do not want to be some eight miles into your walk, crave that piece of fruit and not have it, do you?  Even though I had the remote, I decided to try the pedestrian gate again: code, click, but this time I gave it a big push.  And guess what?  It opened!  Then, when I was leaving, I noticed a big green button on the wall.  "Oh, that must be the device that opens the gate from the inside."  But it did nothing.  I stuck my skinny arm through the metal slats of the gate, punched in the code, heard a click, and pulled.  Exivi.

The circular walk today, though the Chiltern Hills was lovely, even though punctuated by spells of rain.


There was...

that had a little gate (not like MY little gate!)

But it was not a little house:


Speaking of houses, I mistakenly turned into someone's gorgeous property, and would you believe there was an elephant roaming the grounds?

Path:


Flowers along a path:

When you are in woods with paths going hither and thither and yon, a little direction is such a comfort:


Except when it isn't:

On the way down from the hills to the Thames:



Hat-eating thorn bush, very common and aggressive species in these parts:



Preening time for the whole family:


Best GPS instruction of the day, "Sharp left at Blackbird's Bottom."

Did not eat nectarine until about 4:00 p.m.; it had matured to perfection, and was delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment