Friday, July 21, 2023

July 20 Abingdon to Wallingford

Not the Wallingford that is off exit 13 on I 91, the original one.  But can one really know which is ur-original?  To wit:  here is the third....


I could not believe it!   

OTOH, some names are just adorable:


Or otherwise illustrated and thus graphic, as well:

View from a bridge:



Just finished breakfast:



Is this a raft, a team, a paddling, or just random ducks out for a morning mosey along the river?



Cows looking for greener pastures?



Got to a certain point this morning where the sign said to follow the curve of the river bank—which does not necessarily mean you will see the river, it just means you go the way of the river.  The GPS offered an inland route.  After hemming and hawing, I chose the inland option.  It was lovely.  EXCEPT by and by, I got to a gate on which was displayed the following sign:

                        Advanced warning of footpath closure

• This meadow supports an abundance of wildflowers and associated wildlife.

• We manage the site through hay cutting (approximately once every three years) and grazing. This is essential to maintain the populations of wildflowers. 

• The 2023 hay cut will take place in late July/early August.

Hay contaminated with dog faeces can cause serious diseases in sheep.

• Therefore the permissive footpath will be closed from the 15th of June for 4-6 weeks (so that any dog faeces decomposes prior to the hay cut) and will be reopened as soon as the hay crop has been removed.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.


I climbed over the fence.  Since I was dog-less, I did not think my trespass too egregious.


After reconnecting with the path-along-the river, I progressed to Benson, not terribly far from Wallingford, of significance because that is where you cross the river.  Only guess what?  The bridge is under construction and will not be finished until 2026, too long to wait.  As I was walking down the road, the one that would lead to a bigger road and then a highway to get to Wallingford, I encountered a woman walking her dog.  She inquired as to my destination.  Then she proceeded to give me a detailed set of instructions on how to navigate, most of which flew over my head....but not all...I absorbed the critical part about cutting left through a field at the end of the houses.  What a lucky encounter!  The walk through the field was a delight, especially compared to the road walking I would have had to do had I not been told about it.



After the big field was a research complex.  I strolled in, walked along a grassy patch parallel to the road for about 1/2 a mile, and just as as a 90 degree turn was necessary, there was a wire fence where no-can-go (and not scalable).  As luck would have it, I espied a man in a white coat headed toward a building.  I scurried over and said, "I am probably not supposed to be here, but since I am, can you tell me how to get out?"  Well, not only did he tell me, but when he realized that I could not figure out which set of fences he was pointing to, he accompanied me to the start of a very nice indeed dirt path, and I was on my way.  

    I am staying in an Air B and B, which I thought had a kitchen but it does not have a stove, just a microwave, so the egg, potato, and onion dish I was already mentally making will have to wait.  The best part of this place is that I have a garden area right on the Thames!  That is where I am sitting right now!




Eighteen miles today, but the walking is so easy I fear that when I return home, I will need serious work on the Nordic Track and with my weights to get some muscle back and work on the cardio.



 






No comments:

Post a Comment