Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Tarifa to Bolonia, June 6

 That is Bolonia not to be confused with Bologna.  Yesterday was mostly a cliff walk and today was mostly a beach walk.  Tarifa beach: beautiful beach, soft, clean sand:


Until there was a huge lake sort of thing, a yawning inlet that had to be crossed and it was close to high tide.  Two men in front of me waded through.  The water came up above their knees, so I thought if I follow them, maybe the water will come up to my thighs and that would be OK.  I had already taken off my boots, tied them to my pack and was walking barefoot, so in I went.  Need I be explicit about what happened?  Let's put it this way:  I was swimming with my backpack on.  One of the two men extended a hand to help me out.  "No pasa nada," he said.  I walked on very wet, sure my boots were saturated and ruined.  OutdoorActive seemed to be working—does anything else matter?

Now, before this event, there was already trouble with the phone.  I could not adjust the brightness level:  choice:  100% or 0.  I had to be able to use the GPS app, but that meant that the brightness would devour the battery.  I did not need to navigate while on the beach—walking very fast, may I add, since when you are sopping wet, you walk very fast.  BUT later on, because of the tide situation, I had to divert, through massive dunes.



This is very hard walking. VERY.  And there is no path. To what can we liken it?  To being in a desert.  But I knew if I kept going UP  there would, at some point, be a road.  And there was.  Eventually.  The road was celebrated by the presence of a hotel:


Who could resist such a destination?  

After a stint on the road, actually a highway,  I tried two more times to get back to the beach, assuming that the impassable part would be far enough behind.  A time consuming effort and not successful.  Phone battery getting low.  Pulled out auxiliary battery, attached it to phone, but it kept turning off.  Message: "Liquid is in the lightening connector.  Trying to charge may damage phone."  Charging may damage the phone?  The phone was toast!!

THANK GOD I had decided to bring my old phone along.  

With what little charge I had left, I learned from Google Maps that it would take two hours and forty minutes to walk to Bolonia on the highway.  It was about 11:30.  Swallowing my pride, I abandoned the goal of the day, a decision made all the harder because Bolonia is the last official day of the Coast 2 Coast walk. It is where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic.

I hitchhiked.  One lady passed me by.  Then a sort of truck like affair with a trailer stopped.  I opened the door.  "A dónde vas?" the driver asked. "Where are you going?'  "A Bolonia."  He sighed and shook his head a little.  "A dónde vas tú?"  Where are you going?"  I asked.  "Tarifa."  "¿Tarifa?  Aun mejor!  ¿Puedo?"  "Tarifa?  Even better! Can I get a ride?" And I got in!  "Soy Victoria."  "Jose Maria."  And I had the BEST conversation, about music mostly, with this man who, after he stopped to do a short errand, took me right to the entrance of the old city, whence I could find my way.  One song we talked about at length was Caminante, No Hay Camino," "Walker, There Is No Path" from a poem by Antonio Machado, embedded in a song performed by Joan Manuel Serrat.  "¿Sabes qué?" I said, "Siempre cuando escucho esa canción, me hace llorar un poco."  "You know, every time I listen to that song, it brings tears to my eyes."  "Yo también," "Me, too," he replied.  This was one memorable car ride; ¿Bolonia?  No importa.

You can listen to the song here (great video but overinstrumentalized):

This performance is simpler musically and has the lyrics in Spanish (not a super high quality recording, though):

And here are the lyrics in Spanish and English:
https://lyrics-on.net/en/1053497-caminante-no-hay-camino-lyrics.html

BTW, boots were not ruined, and Alex alerted me that the phone may be OK and it is!  Twenty-four hours later, fully charged and fully functional!







No comments:

Post a Comment