Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Tarifa, June 07

 I had grand agendas for today, two, in fact.  The first was to take a ferry to Tánger (let's keep it Spanish). The second was to take a taxi to Bolonia and do a circular walk.  I nixed both plans.  After setting up the phone yesterday and washing every single thing that was in my pack or on myself and throwing out what got ruined, and drying important papers such as money and documents, and reorganizing everything, and realizing that my favorite, faithful shopping bag was no longer, I just did not want to deal with any logistics or plans, so I decided to walk along the beach and then do a city walk.

The beach was so beautiful, just like yesterday!  I walked to place-of-disaster, which, I found out, is the mouth of a lagoon, to see how it looked at a slightly lower tide time.  It looked like this:

 

Quite a little current there!

Then I decided to investigate the "detour."  It turned out to be a whole other walk, largely on a boardwalk through pretty weedy stuff, but to Bolonia it would not take you.  The pleasant part ended at a road that ran to a highway, the only possible exit point back to the beach being the place miles farther on where you have to get off the beach at high tide! 

After finishing this most pleasant detour, I mosyed on back to the lagoon  and by this time, it being later in the morning, several people were about.  I watched them wade across and made three observations:  none were wearing backpacks, most were dressed for swimming, (though I did not see anyone fall in) and the water came up to the tops of their legs. Guy's description of the lagoon crossing is "you will probably have to take off your boots."

The city walk was nothing special, but I am enjoying this rest day.  About 4:00, it was time for another outing.  Fortified with a dulce de leche and chocolate ice cream cone, I headed back to the beach to experience it at low tide.  It was even more beautiful.  The lagoon was less than an hour away so off I went.  There, I perused; I stepped in.  The water was delightfully warm.  Against a strong undertow, I crossed and crossed back again, water up to mid-calf.  Under the right conditions, and being aware of the current, Guy was right:  You just have to take off your boots....and roll up your pants!

How some people enjoy surf and sand:


Lots of bare breasted women on the beach.  No photos.

Farewell to Tarifa, a lively town, llena de vida (full of life)!


No comments:

Post a Comment