Sunday, June 9, 2019

Campo de Caso June 7+8

Half hour taxi ride through lots of traffic, five hours in a bus, the first four and a half of which were as flat and dull as can be, and then, all of a sudden, the mountains, some still with snow, started to appear, another taxi ride of about 45 minutes, and voila you arrive in Campo de Caso, a tiny town with a less than bare bones grocery store, a small pharmacy, a panadería—the bread in Madrid was way better—an ATM, and a small store that sells cured meats.

I had planned to take a short, circular walk, but other than exploring around a bit, I just took care of business. That means making arrangements to get to the start of the walk on Sunday and cobbling together some sort of dinner.  Tomorrow I will take a real "training" walk in the mountains.  But, as for today, RINGS ON WATCH NOT ALL FILLED.

Actually, I am feeling quite disorganized.  I hope that soon, the daily packing and unpacking and meal making, such as it is, becomes faster because the way it is now will never do.  It's kind of like those scenes in the movies where the guy has to clean and load his gun REALLY FAST so has to keep practicing until the sergeant says, "All right, soldier!"  Only I am both soldier and sergeant.

Today, that being not yesterday any longer, the plan was an eleven mile walk, but I couldn't find the trail (there are no markers) or it was so overgrown that it wasn't worth pushing through, so I decided to do a much shorter circular walk, the one I did not do yesterday, only I did it four times, once in one direction, three times in the other direction and once with a stupid detour.  It added up to fourteen miles. The uphill was significant.  Watch gave credit for 300 flights of stairs, and it might have shorted me as it does with miles when you use poles.

This walk allowed me to compare map apps and the GPS.  The GPS performed miserably, partly because the topo map of Spain in beyond inadequate.  Fortunately two phone apps:  Gaia and View Ranger, both having different good features, were useful supports.

It all begins at the Puente Romano:




Cows on the road.  All the Bossies wear, would you believe, cow bells?




They are well mannered, moving aside for you:




Yes, you are very beautiful:



 After much hillage, there is a reward:


Returned to B and B ready to scavenge for this evening's repast only to discover, that, this being Saturday, shops close at 1:30 not to reopen again until Monday. I was so happy that I had forgotten to eat the last few little tomatoes last night since they really did liven up the tuna even though I had meant to open the sardines, which go even better with tomatoes.  Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment