Sunday, May 8, 2022

Carratracas to El Burgo, May 07

 Carratracas to El Burgo was supposed to be the itinerary, but, alas, it was not.  The stage is about seven hours, with some, as Guy puts it, "tricky navigation" and lots of elevation.  And remember, no markers of any kind because we are no longer with the GR 249. But I was game!  Left at 7:00, a bit concerned because it was already warm out.  Got going, and, in about forty minutes, at a three-way intersection, discovered that the route on GPsY and on OutdoorActive were not the same.  How this could be, I have no idea since they are  downloaded from the same source.  I decided to go with GyPS's route, which, of course, was not the correct move, literally, because after a while, the track ended, just like that.

Who says that yellow and red don't go together?



A tree, all by itself, growing!


I returned to the three-way intersection, and this time took the route that O.A had displayed, but because of the time spent error-izing, it was too late to try to accomplish the intended itinerary, so an out-and- back would have to suffice.  I did nor feel bad about this decision except.....at the point I turned around, before a major ascent, the route was becoming more and more beautiful.  I ended walking about five and a half hours anyway, and it was not easy!  But my watch was praising me for my efforts.

Of course, again, this involved a change in Rojita's schedule and because the fare was high—about $65.00—I preferred not to pay it twice.  I called La Casa Fonda Pepa, and thank God, that a) there was a signal and b) the guy understood me because I could not understand him!  Taxi successfully cancelled. At about 12:30, when I stumbled back into the restaurant-with-rooms, Rojita was still there, but now the taxista had other plans for the day and would not pick us up.  Dori, the organizer of all things, did not know another taxi driver.  But she called a relative who was willing to take me.  I offered to pay what the taxista charged.  A deal was struck.  

A little while later, a lovely car rolled up:  there was Miriam, the driver, her cousin (she did call him primo) and a woman who I think was Miriam's mother.  And of course, me!  Off we went.  Turns out that the mother is a physician from Buenos Aires, who moved here to start an infertility practice.  The daughter helps her, and the very nice cousin seems to help everyone.  It took a good hour to drive to El Burgo, and a very twisty-turney drive it was, too.  There was a stop for gas, my treat.  I won't even tell you what a tank of gas costs in these parts.  By the time we arrived, I had made some friends!  Things really did turn out for the best.

The hotel room here in El Burgo is about the dreariest I have ever stayed in.  Could the two light bulbs in a room be any dimmer?  I think not!  At least there is hot water, and one can sit outside, which is marginally better.  These circumstances encouraged me to get out of the hotel and get the lay of the town, which I did, and I am all set for tomorrow and the local walks I am going to do.

A super misterio del día:


There is at least one person who may know what those are!  (I wouldn't have if I had not seen the sign!)

No comments:

Post a Comment