Wednesday, June 14, 2023

June 13 Chipping Sodbury to Wotton-Under-Edge

 The walk today was calculated to be six to six and a half hours, tack on an extra half hour to get to the start point, add on that I am probably slower than average especially with the hills and all, and you have one long day, I started out at 5:30, a.m., that is. It was as light as if it were noon, but the temperature was in the 60's as opposed to 80 where it was headed. It makes all the difference!

Who, do you think, got out of the way for whom?



This notice stopped me dead in my tracks!

I suppose that a  suspicious person in the middle of the  countryside where there is not even a cow to be seen is someone wearing a tux. But with luck and maybe a bit of cunning said suspect might just be able to skedaddle before the non-emergency officers of the law showed up.

This direction sign was not helpful AT ALL.

Speaking of directions or lack thereof reminds me that I wanted to mention the best new acquisitions for this walk.  First is the OS map (+ subscription) app on my phone. (OS=ordnance survey).  There are other similar apps around for sure, but I like the way this one works. Like the others, it does require a signal for navigation, so the GPS is still important as a companion device. The second is the Anker Power Core 5000 to charge the phone on the go.  I would not leave home without it!  

The English countryside:

(BTW, you can click on photos to enlarge them. Saving them in a larger size crashes the post.)

Despite the cooler weather and decrease in humidity, I was tired when I rolled into town at noon, so very happy that I had paid an extra £15 to secure an early check-in.  The Swan Hotel in Wotton-Under-Edge was built in the 17 century and guess what?  You can tell!  The floors are so uneven you feel as if you are walking on a ship in a storm. But the shower is great!  It is not from the 17th century.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment