Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A day in Weymouth

Today was a day of touring and walking about Weymouth. Our first destination was a waterlily garden some two miles from town. On the way, we came across this establishment:





Quite startled I was! Alex, did you change professions, and I not knowing?

At the entrance to the garden was a fish pond:






But of course there were lilies, too. Isn't this a beauty:






What the heck was a display of cactus doing in a water lily garden! This specimen, seemed to be, uhhh, particularly....... serious. Note the Buddha in the background. What does the Buddha have to do with cacti?





A lily among the pads:






This foxglove was irresistible:







Doesn't this lily look like a lotus? Some wise guy is going to tell me that a lotus is a kind of lily, but I just looked it up and it isn't, though lots of people think so. Be warned!






A red lily:






Lush, foliage surrounded the ponds:





It started to rain whilst we were viewing the flora, but as luck would have it, the garden had a little tea room where we repaired to partake of some hot beverage and a slice of most excellent maple cake. Revived, we made our way back to town.

Remember these lyrics (from HMS Pinafore), "When I was a lad I served a term as office boy to attorney's firm, I cleaned the windows and I swept the floor and I polished up the handle of the big front door. I polished that handle so carefully that now I am the captain of the Queen's Navy?" Why here is that very door!







By and by we met Benson, an eleven week Burmese mountain dog. He was very shy:






But after many compliments and some encouragement, he shook hands with Wendy:







Weymouth has a harbour:





Weymouth has such a good harbour that it is host to the sailing event of the 2012 olympics. Why there is Canada hard at practice!






Here are some of the boats in formation:






The town is still decorated from the jubilee. OK so the flags don't show up so well, but there are strung all across the street:






Ambulances come in many varieties:






Oh, I say, it is George III! God save the king and all that! Hip hip hooray!





Choosing photos requires a lot of thought:






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment