Monday, August 1, 2011

7+7=14 (miles)

Breakfast at 7:00 a.m. this morning so that I could accompany Tanya and Ian, who had a twenty-mile day, as they were on the final leg to Robin Hood's Bay; accompany them as far as Littlebeck, that is, some seven miles from Glaisdale. On the way we saw some worthy sights and learned a few things.

Isn't this a fine specimen of a bridge? The curious thing is that it does not connect anything to anything nor does it go over anything bridge-needful. Oh, well:





People say that challenging experiences make you grow. That is so true!






The toll for a hearse is more than the toll for a horse with two wheels but less than the toll for two horses with two wheels. That seems fair, don't you think?



At the train station in Grosmont, we read some depressing, nay, grievous news:




On the other hand, things seem to be under control----or not:




These fine ladies stopped traffic in both directions:



Just a sweet sight:



with a kitty on the roof:





When we got to Littlebeck, at 11:00 a.m., it was hardly time to call it a day, so I walked on with Ian and Tanya for another mile and a half. They decided to pass on the official path, which goes through a nature preserve, to save time and mileage. But finally, it was time to say good bye.




Ummm, guys, you are supposed to be looking sad. I did have a lump in my throat when we parted. It was wonderful walking with these new friends.

I consoled myself with the beauty of the day and the sights around.

This noble lion dispenses ice-cold water to the thirsty traveler:





Sometimes shots of flowers are irresistible; the colours are so vivid. Can you see the bees enjoying the thistle?






Another bright clump by the road:



I decided to walk part of the nature trail, the whole of which I will do tomorrow, because the sun was still high. and about a mile and a half into the preserve, there is a tea garden. The thought of a good cup of something to drink was a lure. Not only did this place by the falls




provide refreshment, but also relief:





Refreshed and relieved, I explored the area immediately surrounding the falls. Why look! The British have captured a Viking ship:




But, beware, a bit up-stream, danger lurks:





At last, almost fourteen miles later, I made my way up a long hill to Intake farm. There was a welcoming committee:





Dinner was to be on the premises. "Would you like lamb?" asked Judith. "You know what I would really like? A sandwich." "That's fine." We settled on tuna, some crisps (chips), fruit, and a piece of cake. The sandwich was on homemade bread. So absolutely delicious! The chocolate cake was freshly baked today. I had all this with fruit and tea in a sitting room with a fire going--a real one, you know, that burns wood!

Through every window is a gorgeous view. There is wi-fi! I am the only guest here tonight, so it is pleasantly quiet.

Tomorrow I will be dependent on my own navigating skills. That means I may arrive a Robin Hood's Bay later than one should. I did pay a lot of attention to Ian's explanations of OS map, and I had a dream that I could read a compass. That is, without a doubt, significant.

Oh--the shower was excellent!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Leas Head Rd,Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby,United Kingdom

2 comments:

  1. Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby? That is quite the location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know where Benjamin gets his height!

    ReplyDelete