I had booked a taxi to take me to Melrose—could I have taken a bus? Yes, but I did not want to schlep with my back pack and a suitcase on a bus, so I opted for comfort—worth every pence. The taxi driver was very nice but drove too fast, just like the other taxi driver. Because he showed up 25 minutes early due to a miscommunication (actually, a non-communication), I was worried that I would get to the hotel before the doors were unlocked and would be standing outside in the rain, which would be most unpleasant. However, maybe because I had been such a pest about the whole thing, the door to the hotel was left slightly ajar, so I went in; no one was there; I hunted for a bathroom, found one, used it, came back to the front desk and a few minutes later the receptionist showed up. It all worked out perfectly except for the rain. It was raining—but not too heavily!
Off I went to Abbotsford, home of Sir Walter Scott. It was a lovely riverside walk.
Why, it isTam Purdie. This is the story:
"In 1804, the 37-year-old Tam Purdie was caught poaching on Scott’s land at his former Borders’ home of Ashestiel, near Selkirk, poaching back then being an extremely serious offence. Scott himself had been appointed Sheriff Depute in the County of Selkirk in 1796. Purdie pleaded his case, citing his impoverished circumstances and duty towards his family as motivation for his crime. “Work is scarce and game plentiful,” he protested, adding slyly that he had merely “girned a hare or twa to prevent them from doin’ ony mischief,” a risky strategy in a court of law …
But these pleadings worked in Tam Purdie’s favour, and he escaped the charges, though on the condition that he work for Scott. He began as a shepherd, and, given more and more responsibility, eventually became Scott’s personal assistant, an eclectic mix of gamekeeper, forester and librarian when Scott eventually moved to Abbotsford. Indeed, in 1812, Scott invited Purdie and his family to come to stay in his household.
For the rest of his days, Purdie and Scott became almost inseparable. Scott was deeply affected by the death of his trusted companion in 1829 when Purdie was sixty-two years old. A stone sculpture of Tam Purdie stands at the entrance to the Abbotsford Gardens overlooking the river Tweed, and he has the honour of being laid to rest in Melrose Abbey."
Even though I had purchased a ticket on line, I still had to get "processed" at the Visitors' Centre before gaining entry to the house. It took the woman at the ticket counter about twenty minutes to do this.
If you are interested in Abbotsford or in Walter Scott, click on that link and you will get a good tour and see excellent photos.
Here are a few of my takeaways from me:
Impressive library:
Many many many books.
Some beautiful windows:
In fact, it was surprising to see so many large windows and so much light. Most were not stained glass, but there were two beauties.
Trivia: Abbotsford was the first home in Scotland to have gas lighting (so they say).
Cardinal John Newman (now a Saint, apparently) a great lover of Sir Walter Scott's work, gifted some vestments to Scott's great granddaughter
Do not confuse Cardinal Newman with Isidore Newman of New Orleans (as I did until enlightened) who founded the school where Alex Allain and Michal Kern met and became life-long friends! And if you are interested in Cardinal Newman you might want to take a look at Seven Facts you never Knew aoubt him And if you are interested in Isidore Newman you can read about him here.
There were gardens. Some not too impressive
No comments:
Post a Comment