Thursday, July 23, 2026

July 23, Keld to Reeth

 This was the last day of the Herriot Way.  It was boring, then gorgeous, then kind of boring again.  The gorgeous part was heavenly.

But I get ahead of myself, because first we have to bid farewell to the residents of Keld.  

There is Mr. Sit Around and Do Nothing:


And Mr. Hard-At-Work:


There were decisions to be made.  The high route or the low route?  I have done both in the past, so I opted for the low route, but there were about three different low routes, all parallel to each other, but each offering a different walking experience.  The first one I chose was definitely not the best.  The views were more than fine, but it was stony track.  However, had I not taken that route to star with, I would not have passed Crackpot Hall.  And who would want to miss that?  After a while, at at a junction, I switched to a different path. It was, at least, more pleasant underfoot.

This ruin looks like the more ruined ruin at the top of Great Shunner Fell.  


OK, I finally looked it up.  Galena is what was mined in these parts:

This piece of machinery is left over from back in the day:



Entirely different from yesterday:



These are the moments when you are just so lucky to be out here doing this:






There was a bunny condo complex.  Each unit is built into the bottom of the embankment and has a superb view of the river.  The embankment hides the doorway and fools all but the most astute passersby.  







After switching paths, I came to a big gate with a padlock.  The gate was not difficult to scale, but I worried about what would be at the other end.


It turned out to be fine!

A whole lineup of sheep.  They seem to love cuddling up to the stone walls:


Yes, they do!



But Ms. Cow will sit anywhere:



You know you are getting close to Reeth when you see the suspension bridge:




Even if yellow is not your favorite color, this huge patch was very happy making:



Is this what I think it is?



Yes!  Mocha does not like long walks


Her owners were muy raro (very strange), I gotta say.  

Back in Reeth, I headed for the Ice Cream Parlour.  I had been thinking about it for about the past three hours.  A black cherry ripple cone was the best way to celebrate the conclusion of the Herriot Way!

The nice people at the very nice hotel (where I have a very nice room!!) let me check in early.  After fourteen miles, it feels good to take off your boots.

I thought I would get a loaf of bread for tomorrow's breakfast and lunch, but it is Thursday!


I did, however, buy a cheese sandwich from a different establishment; that was dinner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment