Monday, August 13, 2018

August 10+11 Heddon on the Wall+Chollerford


 Metro station at Walls End:


According to Google Translate, it means "state of station wagons," from which we learn two things: 1) Google Translate should never be relied upon and 2) If you are looking for the busses and do not know Latin, you are in trouble.  Well, OK, the picture of a bus is a pretty good clue!

Now, this sign has some heft!



Slow news day today as most of the 17 or so miles was essentially along a bicycle path.

This fish out of water looks awfully happy considering it is a fish out of water, unless we are to imagine otherwise since he has a few marine friends close by:



The same two bridges at Newcastle that you saw yesterday only seen from the opposite direction:


Reflection of bridge and a bit of that music venue building:


Hadrian's Wall is a popular walk, doable in either direction, which means signage is good and you do see other people from time to time.  Not a friendly ambience, though, as was the Coast to Coast, e.g.

Too early to get up (for some):

Left the wall today (not that there was any wall that I could see) five miles or so short of my destination to deviate to Corbridge and Hexham because I would have felt as if I had really missed something had I not passed through these two towns.  It was a nice change of scenery and Corbridge is adorable though I did not linger long there.

Visited the Roman town in Corbridge, but I have a terrible confession to make.  I don't love looking at these kinds of ruins, so after a Magnum, I slinked away.  And that was a good thing because I did not realise how many more miles I still had left to walk. (20.5 in toto)



Sculpture of a lion devouring its prey.  What is noteworthy is that the sheep or goat or whatever is bigger than the lion.  Maybe there is a deep thought there or a proverb or something, or maybe not:


A Roman soldier, Flavius, killing a barbarian.  At least that is what the note says. It looks more like Flavius is kicking said barbarian in the rear.  Note that the Roman soldier is on a horse, he is wearing a helmet with plumes, a protective garment, sandals, and has a big weapon.  The barbarian—that would be anyone who was not a Roman, but I would think it would be someone with a beard, which, here it is—is naked and has a small sword and shield that seem not to be doing him much good at the moment:



Now imagine my surprise when I popped into the cathedral in Hexham and saw the  tombstone of same:
 

Took a taxi from Hexham  to Humshaugh, where I was staying, because it is a two-day walk to get from where I started to where I ended.  Tomorrow, back onto the trail proper.

No comments:

Post a Comment