Monday, August 6, 2018

August 03+04 Warkworth

Beautiful, easy, cliff-top walking to start:


Then, to spoil the COASTAL path, instructions to turn onto asphalt path and later diversion around a town to avoid an estuary.  "No," I said to myself, because there was no one else to whom to say it.  "I am staying on the water."  Then, while ambling along on the beach, I thought about a turn that was due, when I heard a click.  Turned around and saw a runner leave the beach and go through a gate, the gate I was to go through.  As I contemplated this, along came an elderly—as in at least as old as I am—couple with their dog. "Can one continue walking down the beach a good distance from here?"  I asked.  "Well, yes, but there are the rocks."  "How bad are the rocks?"  "It is a little rough."  "Do you ever walk through them?"  "Yes, we do."  I am thinking, "People, this is someone who conquered the two boulder fields on Arran and has done the Southwest Coastal Path, not to mention the Southern Upland Way.  Do you think I fear a few rocks?" But what I said, was, "Thank you very much.  I will give it a try."

And here some of them are, not even a minor impediment:



Whom would you prefer to have as a friend?  Her:


or him?



There are 1000 of these mile markers in the UK. This one announced that 4 1/2 miles lay between that very spot and Warkworth:


After the beach and the rocks, there came another diversion inland to avoid a river crossable only at lowest tide, which this was not.  "Do you know this beach well?"  I asked another dog walker.  He assured me that he did and directed me around the estuary, which was a way more pleasant route than that the directions would have you follow:


Arrived in Warkworth 14+ miles later at about noon, got an early check-in to one of those where-shall-we-toss-the-old-lady rooms (very small) only this one is beautifully decorated and altogether pleasant except it has a door that you need to be a wrestler to open and it does not get wi-fi, so I have to sit on a chair in the hallway to get a connection.  I think the hotel personnel do not like my sitting on a chair at the top of the staircase and would rather I sit in the bar.  Well, I would rather they got a decent extender!

After first night in Warkworth, came the last stretch of the Northumberland Coastal Way.  Similar situation as yesterday:  Direction to walk on asphalt paths to avoid dunes and beach.  These paths are fine for cyclists, but an absurdity for walkers.  And so, again, I approached dog walkers on the beach to inquire as to passibility, and again got clearance, as I was in luck with the tide, which was just beginning to go out.  So, I ended the coastal portion of this itinerary with a beautiful and in every way pleasant five mile walk on the beach.  AND only had to wait fifteen minutes for the bus to get back to Warkworth, a grocery-less town!

Approaching Amble:



Amble Harbour:



Beach art:



At the tippy tippy end of that skinny peninsula is Cresswell, terminus of the Northumberland Coast Path:




1 comment:

  1. Vicki , you are chancing a lot of deviations. I do hope they all continue to be fortuitous decisions .
    Lovely pics also .

    ReplyDelete