Thursday, July 27, 2017

Barmouth to Twyn July 24, 2017

Tonight, in Machynlleth,  I am staying at a hotel that was built in 1870, well, not as a hotel then, but as a private residence.  There are remnants of its history.  The floors slant at such a tilt that I wondered briefly if I should use my poles whilst navigating the hallways.  To get wi-fi, the computer has to be stuck out the window.  The second option for wi-fi is to come to the lounge, where I am now.  But I am getting ahead of the story.

Yesterday started out with a super walk across the old Barmouth bridge.



A view, maybe from the bridge, but does it matter?



I was up in them there hills (looks a lot like Two Bosom Peaks):



Who gets right of way around here:



Would you believe I was just about to abseil in the quarry:



But decided to forgo the experience.  Besides, I do do not think that this pile of slate was the quarry exactly.


Speaking of the quarry, though, brings to mind an encounter with man taking a morning walk. Learning that I was walking the WCP, he offered some advice.  "When you get to the WCP sign just ahead, ignore its telling you to turn left.  Stay on this path instead.  It is much nicer."  Got to sign, took advice, and the recommended path was quite lovely, as promised, then after about twenty minutes, I met the WCP in exactly the place he told me not to turn left.  It was a pretty detour, however.

Walk to Tywyn, though stunning,  was L O N G as in 19 miles (counting navigational issues and detour), and I would have liked to checked into the B and B before 4:00, but the somewhat unpleasant host of Preswylfya Guest House would have nothing to do with my request, nor would he allow me to drop off my pack.  So, on arrival, desperately wanting to doff the boots, and with an hour and half to check in time, I took the little Talyllyn train to wherever and back.  It was a sweet, slow, but not spectacular journey, and sitting down, drinking a bottle of sparkling water, while looking at the countryside was quite pleasant.

The claim to fame of said train is that it was the inspiration for Thomas the Train, as you can see:



 The green-doored carriages are first class:



Originally the tracks were laid to transport slate from mine to port, but then it was decided to add a passenger train for families and others in the area, so around 1865 Thomas was born!





No comments:

Post a Comment