Oh, no! The entire post just got deleted! I should have switched to WordPress. This is so annoying and besides, remember when I said Stockbridge is quieter than Edinburgh? Not true! It is incredibly noisy and especially right outside my window where a ton of people are drinking and there is loud music playing non stop. This goes on starting at about noon until late at night. It is simply a different kind of crowd than that which the Old City attracts.
Just put on noise canceling headphones. It helps!
So now to recreate what was lost. Today there was a strike affecting the major museums —good thing I picked up on that yesterday—so that left culture off the agenda. I decided to walk the Water of Leith Walkway in the direction opposite to the one that went to the Royal Yacht and take a look at the Colinton tunnel, where there is a huge mural. I was a bit concerned that it would be littered with political statements, but it wasn't.
Maybe this guy was thinking about it:
Or maybe he had other things on his mind, like how to defeat the Vikings or something!
National flower:
National costume and national instrument:
Not the national animal but it should be:
The big picture more or less:
The walk there was gorgeous:
Oh, I am so proud of my prize! I will have the fanciest nest in the.....tree? Well, where ever the nest is:

I am biding my time:
A delicious morsel awaits:
Man with long hair who forgot his bathing trunks:
Original(?) bump on a logNot ripe just yet:
The Water of Leith Walkway follows the river, but sometimes there is no path tight along the river's edge and sometimes there are two paths: one along the river or very close to it, the other, paved and perfect for cyclists, veering away from the river in several places. On the return walk, I decided to hunt out the closest-to-the-river path as much as I could. The worst that could happen is that I would end up somewhere I did not want to be. This, however, is a CITY, not the moors, not a forest, not a field that is bigger than the eye can take in, I would deal!
One of the not-exactly-along-the-river's-edge diversions took me to a huge walled garden. Was it ever gorgeous!
Lavender reaching for the sun:
Formal and informal plantings mixed together. Wonderful effect!
Spectacular stand of pink lilies
Near the end of this 5***** walk, there was a millstone from France from back in the day when Dean, a town near Stockbridge, had a thriving milling business, what with being right there on the river and all:
Two things: A millstone is VERY heavy and big. Now, what it was about the Frenchness of the stone, I have no idea.
Back in Stockbridge, I looked at the shops. There were the usual, but also a fish store. The guy who owns it is busy setting things up at 6:00 a.m. I know because I have passed by at that hour or earlier and seen him setting his (or other peoples') catches, fresh as can be, in the window:
Then I took a stroll to Inverleith park, where many fowl enjoy the lake.
Mute Swans:
Well fed male mallard duck:
Feral rock pigeon:
This little guy, a Eurasian Coot was all alone!
Surely you must be wondering how I became an instant ornithologist, I didn't! I used Google lens! It took a picture of the picture! So, if I am wrong, it is because I don't know any better!
No comments:
Post a Comment