Saturday, August 5, 2023

August 03 Putney Bridge to London

 Ready or not, here is one more taxi anecdote.  I calculated my arrival time at the Air B&B @ 9:30; the taxi company estimated a one hour drive time (only if traffic is stop and go, mainly stop, and they charged £10 extra for just in case that was the case), so I requested the suitcase pick-up for 9:30, which would give me an hour's lead time.  At 8:45 the phone rings, "Madam, I am here at Aragon House.  What am I to pick up?" Thank God the hotel people were competent.  My GPS tells me I will arrive in twenty-five minutes; the taxi driver's estimate is thirty minutes not sixty.  I picked up the pace and arrived about 10 minutes before the luggage.  Pretty nice place, this Air B&B, well located and excellent wi-fi.  Full kitchen, but I doubt I will be cooking.

Sights along the route.

A long row of trees:


Train on bridge:


Don't ask which bridge.  There are so many!

Great combination of elements:


Bird on the wing:


Anyone looking for a themed celebration?  


It doesn't say if the dude is included.

Astroturf chair for the weary:


The Outdoor Active app froze today.  Not a good day for that to happen because there were a lot of diversions.  In addition, it suggests a route right in the middle of the river:

Maybe that is the swimmers' option, and besides it is going in the opposite direction.  Might that be in case you forgot your keys or something and had to paddle back?

On my way to hunt and gather, a poster:


I was almost tempted!

Red squirrel:


Aside from walking about, I went to the Churchill War Rooms.  Remember the picture of Winston's curls from Blenheim?  Here is the portrait to prove it:

I think he looks rather sad.

Beverly Nichols, a columnist for the Daily Telegraph, nailed the essence of Churchill's skill: 

He mobilized the English Language, and sent it into Battle.

Since many of his war time speeches are well known, this sample of quips is not from that repertoire. 

Look at the Swiss, they have enjoyed peace for centuries.  And what have they produced? The cuckoo clock.

Lady Aster to Churchill:  Winston, if I were your wife, I'd put poison in your coffee.
Churchill:  Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

Man, while Churchill was canvassing for votes:

Vote for you?  Why, I'd rather vote for the Devil.
I understand.  But in case your friend is not running, may I count on your support?  

One of the most interesting parts of the tour was interview segments with some of the people who had worked in the war rooms: typists, phone operators, e.g.  The worked underground, the air was stale, it was damp, the smell was bad, the hours were long.  One woman told about going home one night after a long shift.  All the street signs had been taken down, there were no lights, and what had been a building the day before was now a pile of rubble. "But you figured it out and just kept on going."  

 After the War Rooms, an ornamental guard on a horse seemed especially silly. What this guard was guarding is not clear, and he did move just a little bit.  But since he is not wearing one of those bear-fur hats, maybe he is allowed to. How the horse can stand still for a l o n g time is the more interesting question:



This display of duct pieces and stuff is designated a work of art by Holly Hendry; it is called Slackwater.  I suggest you read all about it.


And near it is Lytylle Plant Beist by Abigail Norris:


First impression of London: LOTS of people and LOTS of parks.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment