When I headed out this morning on a circular walk, I had low expectations because Hawick is such a cheerless town, but surprisingly, the walk was excellent. Hills, and fields, and, well, just splendid countryside. It was quiet. It was very quiet. Even the scenery was quiet.
For the first while, my doubts were justified because there was lots of tall grass: to push through:
and I thought, nobody walks here! What am I doing? But a path did appear, and although there were certainly a few difficulties, most was fairly straight forward.
It turned out that I was.
Can you see how quiet it was?
There were vast areas where you did not see even a cow or a sheep
But then, off in the distance there were cows (on the left) AND sheep (on the right)
Even these birds (everything that is black is a bird) attacking the grain did not caw! At least not at the moment. They were too busy looting!
After coming down from the hills, I met a horse with way too long bangs:
And had to scale a gate:
If I do say so myself, I am quite good at scaling gates of various kinds.
In the afternoon I went to the park where there was a guy singing and lots of people enjoying the performance and the unusually fine weather:
How much the dogs enjoyed it is not so clear:
I thought this was a likeness of Robert Burns. It wasn't. It is James Thomson, who wrote, inter alia, "Rule, Britania" (but that was in the 18th C)!
.
No comments:
Post a Comment